Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mowing the Lawn

I like to read good writing. Whether it's an entire book or just a bumper sticker, I love when the words are perfectly chosen and arranged to the point where I'm not just reading information...I'm reading art. And I wish I could do that.

So aside from this blog just being a way to keep in touch with friends and family, writng is something I enjoy. And it's a way to practice the art and to try to come close to some of the writers I admire. Sometimes I'll find that among a thousand words, I've strung ten together that are really good and its worth the time I put into it.

I still enjoy it but sometimes it feels like it's becoming a chore. It's like watching the grass in your yard get longer and longer and knowing that you should cut it. It just kind of nags at your brain and you imagine that the neighbors are shaking their heads and blaming you for their sinking property values until you can't take the pressure and you shuffle out and mow your lawn. When you're done, you don't feel pride at a job well done. Just relief that the chore isn't nagging at you anymore.

Any of you other bloggers feel that way? Natalie? Kelly? Brooke? Do you suspect that after a week of nothing new, your readers are saying "Bad blogger, bad blogger! Go to your room!"?

Sorry. I like writing, but I hate mowing the lawn.

2 comments:

john & natalie said...

I feel like that a lot but I decided to get over it. It's better to cut the lawn every once in a while than to give up on it all together. I get bummed when my favorite blogs don't get updated but I'm still glad they exist. I promise not to send you to your room if you promise to keep writing.

Anonymous said...

You are such a wonderful writer. And, there is simply a time for gathering inspiration! The things most worthwhile are worth waiting for. When it is time to write, you will know it....like being at the top of the water slide....when you get started...you just can't stop!! Have you heard that analogy before?? I can't stop thinking about it!!