Friday, February 25, 2011

He Skis

If their parents skied, then skiing was for old people. That was the opinion of my children anyway. So when we moved to the mountains and introduced them to snow with gravity, they all decided to be snowboarders because snowboarding was way cooler. They all picked up basic skills, but never really excelled. They didn't dislike the sport but they didn't love it either and I always had to twist arms to get them to go with me. Samantha and Noah eventually gave it up altogether.

If I had tried to talk Jonah into skiing he probably would have resisted. But a couple of his friends were skiers and last year he borrowed some skis and gave it try. He picked it up immediately and by his 3rd day he was a better skier than he ever was a snowboarder. By the end of the season he was as good as me. This year I bought him skis for Christmas and he has far surpassed me. He skis fast and fearless. He skis every weekend and after school and at night and everyday of winter vacation. I'm glad he loves it so much but I still have to twist his arm to get him to ski with me.

Now I'm too slow for him.

No comments: