Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Captain and Tennille

What was the first album you ever purchased?

In the course of a conversation on music with old (or new) friends the question will eventually come up. Most music questions are subjective and the answers can be debated or changed. Who was the best 70"s band? What was your favorite 80's group? Who are the top 10 singers in your lifetime? There are many possible answers and you can change your mind after listening to someone else's passionate reasoning.

But you only bought your first album one time and there's only one answer. Either you bought it or you didn't. I grew up in the 70's and there were so many good bands that I could have chosen to spend $10 on. I wish I had bought Pink Floyd. That'd be a cool answer. Lynnard Skinnard, The Allman Brothers, CCR, or Queen....all would be proud answers to the question. I didn't really care for KISS or AC/DC but I'd be in good company if one them was my first. I loved REO, Fleetwood Mac, and Styx so it's a mystery why they weren't my first. If I wanted mellow, why didn't I go with Billy Joel or Simon and Garfunkel. There wouldn't even be any shame in the very 70's Abba or BeeGees.

But my first album was The Captain and Tennille. I know, I know. I can't explain it either. I remember I bought in K-Mart at the same time my brother bought Olivia Newton John. I swear...we are both heterosexual males.

Fortunately I fare much better when I am asked about my first concert. Because in 1980 I saw those macho bad boys from down under ----




--- Air Supply!

Oh Yeah!! Manhood restored!!

3 comments:

Todd Barney said...

funny funny. My first was Rumors by Fleetwood Mac. The Eagles were next I think. Did the Captain and T even have a hit other than "Love will keep us together"?

john & natalie said...

The Beach Boys: Greatest Hits. Pretty sure about that. Or maybe the Macarena single, or maybe Hansen.

Kelly Belly said...

Hey, don't diss the Captain!

My first album was an 8-track.
Saturday Night Fever.

However, my first 45 was recorded by, none other than, KC & the Sunshine Band.

Sorry about the Air Supply experience.