Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Just sit right back and you'll a tale..."

I was sharing my bucket list with my kids the other day. They thought some were cool and some were ridiculous. But when I got to my goal to sing in public, Samantha shared a memory that had been irreparably burned into her psyche. She was only 7 at the time but 11 years later, her mortification was still visible.

We were in the audience for the Shamu show at Sea World and the warm-up guy was entertaining the crowd while we waited for the star to show up.

"Who knows the theme song to Gilligans Island?" he asked the crowd. Without considering the repercussions of my actions, I proudly raised my hand. I dropped my arm quickly when I saw the microphone headed my way, but it was too late. I shook my head and pushed the mic away, but the crowd would have none of my stage fright and there was no backing out.

Knowing that I was going to look like an idiot whether I whispered, ran, or belted it out, I chose the latter and let er rip.

I'm not sure if Samantha was more embarrassed that I sang so horribly or if it was that I actually knew the words. Whatever...it counts and I'm crossing it off the list!

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The minnow would be lost, the minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan
The Skipper too,
The millionaire and his wife,
The movie star
The professor and Mary Ann,
Here on Gilligans Isle.

1 comment:

john & natalie said...

Hmm, I know the words to that song too, probably because my dad sang it when I was little. Tell Sam she's not alone.